Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Cultural Phenomenon

Tonight, Harry Potter And the Deathly Hallows comes out! Am I going? Yes. Am I dressing up? Still undecided.

I realized though, that this series has been a part of my life since I was 6 years old. I have grown up knowing about Muggles and Quidditch,waiting for my letter from Hogwarts and wanting a snowy owl as a pet. I cheered as Slytherins were beat for the house cup and cried horribly as characters such as Sirius and Dumbledor died. I went to the midnight premiers of the books and now am finally going to a midnight showing of the movie.

Am I sad that this chapter of literary culture will soon be ending? Yes, very much so. I have spent the past couple of weeks rereading the series and if you haven't read them in a while I would suggest doing so because Rowling's writing is amazing. She creates such a number of dynamic characters which manage to grow and develop throughout the whole seven years. I really could rave about it for pages and pages, sadly life does go on and I have a bio lab that starts in 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment